Karlton;

Charlie's still around,  but chooses to focus on his Motorcycle business.  I use to do
all the composite work for Charlie (Renegade,  Raider,  Contender,  Turbo, Raptor,
etc.),  but have done a total of only one wing (for his personal use) during the last
year.  The sad truth of the reality is that you can't earn enough money to live
comfortably in Southern California by making toy airplanes.  This is certainly true in
Charlie's case as he's still relatively young and raising a  family (perhaps less true
for an old fart like me).  Charlie's found that he can work for a much higher hourly
rate by restoring Motorcycles and fabricating  high performance Motorcycle parts  than
by making gliders. Apparently,  he also has a much larger customer base as he has more
than enough work to keep him busy.  Unfortunately,  this trend seems to be typical for
cottage industry glider vendors as many have abandoned the arena  just when their
products reach prominence.  A few examples of this phenomenon are as follows:  Steve
Hugg of FuseWorks now makes molded parts for the Motorcycle and Auto industry and no
longer accepts new orders for glider fuselages,  Mark Hambledon of DCU is expanding to
support the military effort where the rates of return are staggering,   Frank Weston
of WACO now tunes piano's as he's fed up with customer interaction.  In fact,  it's a
wonder that Sal of NSP has stuck with it after all the harassment he typically sees.
Ed Whyte of Whyte's wings chose another profession after he couldn't make ends meet in
SOCAL.  Mark Levoe of Levoe Design prefers the steady pay check and full benefits at
Aeroenviroment.  Brian Mclean now works for a full scale glider company in Bend,
Oregon.  R&R spends most of their time supporting the Remote Pilot Vehicle (RPV)
industry and gliders are left as the orphan child.  Several others also work in the
RPV industry as their skills translate perfectly to the slightly larger and much more
lucrative products.  This list is probably far more expansive as I've undoubtedly
forgotten several  (Bob Dodson,  Mark Allan,  Ron Vann,  Mark Smith of Dynaflight,
etc.)  and will probably include my own name sometime during the next year.

It's certainly nice to have all the exotic European gliders available,   but there's
no way we in America can compete with the low cost of labor,  materials or facilities
in third world countries.  Reviewing this post shows that it has a pessimistic or
negative tone.  That certainly wasn't my intent.  I merely wanted to highlight the
futility of trying to make a living in the small glider arena and it's hard to do that
in a positive way.  Obviously this post doesn't extend to the low end of the spectrum
where manufactures use inexpensive material (EPP) or high volume to make up for low
profit margins.

Please enjoy our soaring products while you can as we're definitely an endangered
breed.

Fred