> Several years ago there was an article in RCM about such a trick.  As I
> remember when the glider released the tow line shot upward into the
rotating
> blades.  At that point the helicopter became a glider with a very, very
poor
> L/D.  Considering they were several hundred feet up I bet it made a heck
of
> a racket upon return to earth.

It is adviceble to drop the line from the chopper first! Or use a weighted
line,
but then you still have problems during the landing phaze (sp?). So having a
release at the helicopter is very wise - a monofilament line, strong enough
to held the glider doesn't cost much, so it can be happily discarded, or
left hanging behind the glider, as the drag is very, very low!