"David J. Schat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted, "Why I like
instructions!" and quiche, too :-)!?

"Aside from all the things previously mentioned I like to read through the
instructions first (several times) and visualize how a model goes
together.... then it's time to start optimizing. I rarely follow
instructions to the letter. I usually modify the order in which things go
together to make the building easier and facilitate doing excellent
craftsmanship. I also substitute materials regularly.  I've built countless
models in my life and really enjoy building. Do I need instructions to
build a model? No. having instructions make it more ENJOYABLE!  I know, I'm
not a real man... I like quiche also ;- )  "

Sorry!  If reposting bothers you--it ALWAYS does me--but maybe someone will
have missed this excellent post.. AND I want to piggyback it and "preach" a
bit :-) --NOT O.K. !!??  I have been a builder all my life--I remember in
the Jimmy Allen era (AGAIN I reference Dave Thornburg's, "Do You Speak
Model Airplane? the story of aeromodeling in America" a book of
revelations, IF you don't know who Jimmey Allen was :-) cutting out--my
first scratch build, at FIVE--a profile something like a P-40 and getting
it all glued together.  Later came sticks & paper, later U-control, some
rubber (motor) powered birds that REALLY flew, HLG, (an interlude of FULL
scale sailplanes--and one big JASCO bird I put a Cox 0.10 on--a little
under powered :-) , a LONG interlude of none and then RC "ditty" power and
finally RCHLG & now RCHLG-DHL :-) !!  I do love to build and I build better
than I fly--for sure!

The point "preacher" , the point!  "Yah!"  Well, I am not as good at it as
David :-) !!  I could never have built most kits without the instructions
and a built up without plans--almost impossible, though I have thought of
trying it just for the doing.  On a kit a number of you have built ( kitted
and merchandized by a biggie--not anyone who has been a part of RCSE--and a
has been now :-( I found one wing half a bay larger than the other when I
kit bashed it :-) !!??  I love it when I read the disclaimer, "These plans
may have shrunk!"  "Yah!!"  ESPECIALLY the "Skeeter" plans--just had to
throw that in :-) !!  "WELL!"  Something sure shrank--I think it was the
parts :-) ; cause the plans were bigger than the parts--I am rational!!

The POINT!!  Do you want to know what is wrong with the world--we threw out
the instructor, the game plan and the instructions a long time back--an
illustration I make from my modeling time to time--no designer, no purpose,
no plan. . . ?!  "Do I need instructions to build a model? No. having
instructions make it more ENJOYABLE!  I know, I'm not a real man... I like
quiche also ;- )"  A box of balsa and some glue, a model don't make--and
all the innate and learned matter still fall short of making Humpty Dumpty
a flyer :-) again!?  Well, "Do I need instructions" !? O.K. "No," but no
plans--don't think it is going to go together very fast or probably very
well, but for SURE, "having instructions make it more ENJOYABLE!"  and that
part about the "quiche" !?  Go figure :-) !!

If you don't know who Jimmy Allen was you may not know what a Sky Pilot is
either ;-) !

Paul Clark, SKY PILOT ONE, Osaka, Japan    (AMA # 53 777 1)
http://www.kcat.zaq.ne.jp/skypilot/
SKY PILOT'S HANGAR--RCHLG AFICIONADO