http://www.silentflight.org/NATS2001/RES-NOS/pages/DSC01032.htm

Is there something about soaring or remote control aircraft that most
folks competing have gray hair?  I know that it is a hobby that does
not really require physical endurance, or a youthful body, like
running for instance.  All these pics are of guys in their 50s, 60s
and 70s with just a few exceptions.  So is it just that going to the
NATS requires the experience of flying for 20 years before you can
attend?  Or more likely, is it that the median age of RC glider
pilots (or RC pilots in general?) has steadily increased over the 30
years of RC flying?

So now that is on the table, what are you all doing locally to
stimulate interest from youths?  I heard from Dennis Phelan that here
in CT there is a local AMA program for kids 9 - 16.  That sounds like
fun.  Anyone else?  I would think that Boys & Girls clubs, Boy/Girl
scouts, church groups etc. would be thrilled to have a demonstration
or even a chance to try an EPP glider.  Invite the Dads along and you
might even get some of these kids to actually get some money to try
flying.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "James V. Bacus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why does it always make you smile when it's not yours...
>
> http://www.silentflight.org/NATS2001/RES-NOS/pages/DSC01013.htm
>

> Jim
> Downers Grove, IL
> Member of the Chicago SOAR club,  AMA 592537    LSF 7560 Level III
> ICQ 6997780    R/C Soaring Page at www.jimbacus.net
>
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send
"subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]