Brings to mind an experience last fall.

At the September Club contest the wind was blowing 15-20 many of the guys
chickened out to fly, guess they thought it was too windy.  We won't
mention names.

I put some borrowed ballast in my Escape cause I forgot my Pat McCleave
custom ballast.  Duh.  This is the most wind I have flown the recently new
Escape in.

So I step up to a Freddette winch, Ford long shaft, mono, and a positive
brake.  I got kicked to the right on launch, maybe I screwed up something,
so I stepped on it to get some line speed to recover straight.  No problem
except I traveled about 100 feet to the right.  As soon as I righted I hit
the elevation where the wind is much stronger.    I immediately let off the
foot pedal because the plane had plenty of speed, tension and was climbing
fast.  Except the energy just kept building.  It seemed like magic, a
perpetual machine.  The drum was not letting any line out!  It looked like
one of those 4 man F3J tows.  I thought my wings were going to break, I
have never seen Escape wings bend like that, they were elliptical.

I realized I had to get off the line before my plane broke. A quick "blip"
and I rocketed off like a bat outta hell.   It seemed to zoom another 200
feet.  Wow, that was an unexpected adrenalin launch.

Yes.   Mono +  locking drum + wind =  Wild launches

Steve