Hi to all,

I know enough about electicity and voltage to know I don't know
enough.

I have two dial type 0 to 120 volt AC rheostats. One has a rated
output of 20 Amps the other is 2.5 Amps. the larger one weighs about
8 Lbs. the smaller about 4 Lbs. so they are commercial grade. When
cutting cores the dial of the larger rheostat is set around 5 Volts.

Here's my question. Can I use the larger rheostat to feed the smaller
one to get greater control of cutting temperatures? For example, set
the first rheostat to 15 Volts then use the second to vary the
voltage from 0 to 15 volts over its 0 to 100% rotation.

Will the smaller rheostat work if the input voltage is reduced?

Could this damage one or the other or both?

Anybody know what kind of Amp draw a 48" wire has?

Would it be over the 2.5 Amp rating of the smaller rheostat?

If the above does not work, what kind of device could reduce AC
current by 50% or 75% between the rheostat and the cutting wire?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Steve Bingham
AKA ilikegliders
Boise, Idaho