It's my guess that its simply to make pilots feel psychologically more
secure on the tow.  I've launched Super-Vs for years with a tow hook that
is barely two ring diameters long without any pop off problems.

When I get a long hook I cut it off.  The longer hooks seem to get twisted
off to the side more easily on a scary launch and don't release as cleanly
at the top.

The most important attribute of a tow hook is first that it is beefy enough
to never bend and second that it is adequately bent to 90 deg or a bit better.

Rick