Well, what an interesting ride this has been!  I simply put the
friendly question out about allowing multiple models to be flown in a
contest.  Here's what I've observed:

1.  Nearly anything on RCSE can get nasty and personal far too
quickly.  This thread started with some reasoned debate and just got
sadly weird.

2.  Some competitors whose names I know and respect would be very
happy to see multiple models flown.

3.  Some competitors whose names I know and respect would not like to
see multiple models flown.

4.  Some folks who rarely, if ever, fly contests insist on inserting
strongly felt opinions about changing things that don't effect them
in the least.

5.  I'm surprised that no  mention has been made of multiple model
use in F3J.  Seems to me like it  has not caused the downfall of
soaring in most of the rest of the world or the denigration of
soaring as a fun thing to do.

6.  We need to collectively take a deep breath and remember this is
for fun.  Last time I checked the stakes were pretty low (as long as
you don't factor in egos  which seem quite large enough).

Here's what I've decided.  I will dutifully send in a sanction
request with a rule deviation noted about rule #5 for the Cincinnati
Soaring Society's Memorial Contest May 18 and 19.  The deviation will
note that:

The competitor may use two model aircraft in the competition at their
discretion in variance with rules 5a, b, and c.

Gee whilikers won't this shake up the whole soaring world!!  It will
be interesting to see if the sanction is granted.  See page one of
the ama rule book under contest directors responsibilities and the
technical directors response.

To make things even more fun, day one flights will be matrixed man on
man as in F3J, day two seeded man on man.

Reasonable soul that I am, if my email in-box is flooded with "please
don't do that" by the regular CSS Memorial attendees, I am amenable
to reconsideration with the noted caveat that some privileges come
with stepping up to CD a contest.

I'm considering making these changes to increase the fun factor.  I'm
living proof that a middle o' the pack flyer will be just that with
an expensive model as well.  Most guys I know go to contests to see
friends, look at cool new toys and to challenge themselves and push
their skills.  Many would like to play with more than one of their
toys during this time.  While some obsess on winning, most don't.  To
play with two toys instead of just one seems to me to be not a big
deal, but from all the hub-bub perhaps a crucifixion is order eh?

Soaring is fun, arguing is not.

Barry Andersen