On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, sloppymoeley wrote:

> I am about to start construction of an EPP foam plank/wing for
> dynamic soaring.  I was considering using the Rotary Drive System on
> the elevons to keep drag to a minimum and help protect the servos
> from damage.  However, I think that the EPP may not provide a rigid
> enough surface to mount the servos to as the "squishiness" of the
> foam may allow some rotational play.  This play might cause some slop
> and flutter.
> Has anyone had experience with this system in EPP airplanes?  How
> were the results?
> Thanks for your time,
> Joe Morley

I've never used an RDS system, but I've built 7 or 8 EPP airplanes with
wing-mounted servos. I'm not sure why the torque developed in a servo
twisting an RDS linkage to the elevon would be any different from the
torque developed in a servo pushing a conventional control rod. If there
was no (or small) friction in the RDS linkage and the elevons were hinged
similarly, it would seem the same force would be necessary to deflect the
elevons, resulting in the same torque back at the servo that the wing
would have to resist.