At 04:59 PM 6/5/2002 -0400, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
>Steve Meyer wrote:
> >
> > I would be very leery of using any electronics or batteries involved in a
> > high 'G' crash.  The items may work for now but are much more susceptible
> > to failing without any warning.  Sounds like 'foamie' parts to me.
>
>I had a battery pack in a similar crash that looked okay
>on a cursory inspection.  When I pulled it off the charger,
>there was a large amount of sparking from it's cable.

I'm gonna echo those comments with an add-on.  I had a Highlander and after
getting beaten up like foamie/newbie planes are suppose to, one day after
fiddling with it I touched the front end and it was damn near on fire.  A
short someplace was cooking something and it was real close to a melt-down.

Yeah, bits and pieces of gear that have seen some abuse might be used in
foamies, but be careful of battery packs.  Failures anywhere in the wiring
system or the battery pack itself can be a serious problem when the battery
pack overheats in a well-insulated container like a foamie.

Cheers,

Bill
--

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bill Johns
Pullman, WA