This note is from another list.  The post did come in HTML free.
Those of you that use AOL will do all the readers of this list a big
favor by using this method to eliminate the bothersome HTML clutter.
Additionally, it cuts down on the bandwidth to get our pearls of
wisdom shared.

Barry

Subject: Re: HTML formatting

There has been some discussion on the list before (I believe it was
this list) about using HTML formatting.  Several users, myself
included, have written that in some versions of AOL the messages seem
to arrive without HTML formatting and in others with HTML with no way
to turn it off.  There was some upcry, as I recall, that this could
not possibly be the case.  Well, just having a message rejected from
another newsgroup for HTML formatting while on my laptop (I never
have that problem with ASOL from home, an older version) I finally
broke down and contacted tech support about this.  Here is the info I
got and the 'cure' for those with this problem.

Bottom line..there IS NO way to turn it off with version 6.0 and
greater.  The e-mail has rich-text formatting for color fonts etc and
other than using Ariel 10 point which, they say, might come through
as non-HTML (but in my case does not) there is no other cure...BUT
they said that if, instead of sending mail from within AOL itself,
you go and send it from their AOL Anywhere web site it should come
through as non-HTML formatting since the website mail does not use
rich-format.  Anyway, here is a test and will see if it comes through
without HTML formatting.  If it does come through OK then that is the
answer for AOL users and the HTML formatting issue.