---

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:18:44
 tony estep wrote:

>A slower-flying plane will make smaller circles for a given sink rate;
>a typical 8-oz/sq ft plane will fly in roughly 42 foot circles for a
>sink rate of 2 ft/sec, while the same plane at 10-oz/sq ft would need
>57 feet of diameter. So if the thermal is really little, and you can
>place yourself really precisely, this can be an advantage. Again, if
>the wind is blowing, this is moot.

Funny you should mention this. At last weeks Spring Fling, being the less than
adequate soaring pilot I am, I ended up Saturday, last round, by this time the wind
was blowing a bit, needing a 12 minute flight. It was open order on the tasks, just
couldnt get the 12 in when conditions were calmer. I end up popping
off twice, the second time at about 25-30 ft- only allowed one pop off.  So what
happens?  I luck out, hook a little lift right behind the winches with the light
weight, ugly dog, not worthy of a 1200.00 90oz molded flyer, 3 year old, beat up
Mantis.  I had to work the light, reeaal low lift very, very tightly all the while
drifting down wind at a pretty good clip- I ended up specking out and getting my
12(and one of only two landings for the contest).  If I was flying a 80-90 oz molded
ship, this may have been much more difficult, if not impossible for a flyer of my
limited abilities(not to mention the fear of risking a 1000.00 plane that low!)to do.
Ill stick with the light planes(read bagged) and ballast as needed.  Walter

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com