Gotta jump in on this one.

Last year I flew my brand new 1/3 scale Duo Discus for the first time at the
Triple Tree Aerotow, in Greenville SC.  Nothing like doing the first flight
in front of a crowd. Well this crowd included Peter Goldsmith (I think he
even towed me up), who is a muckey muck with Horizon.  They are the good
people who bring JR products to us.  Very quickly after release from the
tug, I figured something was really wrong with the plane. I had vague
control. I managed to get it back along a path over the runway with the hope
of landing out at the top end of the sloping runway.  As it went by at about
40 feet over our heads we could all see the elevator waggling to beat the
band.  That was a very pricey JR 8411 servo in there.  I eventually got it
down in a rather abrupt manner near the crest of the sloping runway. Abrupt
is a kind description for the belly flop that occurred.  Upon arrival at the
site, I had already decided that the JR product was my point of failure and
I was letting it be known to all. Once I got to the plane, the gears in that
servo were clearly goners.

As I carried the plane back along the line I really made an ass of myself by
shouting at Peter to come figure out what had failed.  He was waaay cool.
He asked, "Did you range check this before you flew it?"

"No," was about the best I could do.

"Why don't we check that out" was Peter's suggestion.

I only got about 10 paces away from the ship with my transmitter before the
plane started that sickly jittering.  I had simply grabbed a RX off the
workbench and stuck it in the plane in my haste to finish the project.  I
really to this day can't say if it was on the workbench because it had been
removed for cause from it's prior home.

Even after my behavior, Peter was incredibly kind to replace the stripped
8411 so that I could fly again the next day.

I can't say enough about Peter's representation of his product. Same applies
to the people at Hitec to whom I have returned lots of fried out, stripped,
or otherwise mangled gear and from whom I get repaired/replaced items in no
time. No questions asked.

After a crash, I am always disappointed. It is very easy to blame the
products that seem to have gotten in the way.  But most of the time, the
company will be very professional and back their product, whether or not it
was at fault. JR and Hitec certainly do.

Now those blue things are another story.  Cottage industry stuff with a
cottage industry support system (in the past, don't know what they have set
up today) is an invitation to disappointment.  Yeah, they sent me the shafts
after mine failed. Would have been really nice to have gotten the word
before I committed a $750 plane to them.

I seem to be saying this a lot lately, but here goes again.  The truth may
often be stranger than fiction, but it will never hurt your reputation like
a cover up.  If quality is the true mantra of the blue guys, like their web
site and evangelists say it is, why don't they indicate a recall or safety
directive on these servos?

Will my servos be swapped out for new if I send them back? Or will I be told
that the problems just couldn't be, like I was told, in person, when I
presented the problem to the factory rep?

I feel better now.  :)

Lee Estingoy
Overland Park, KS