>I am sure someone with more knowledge about fluid dynamics can say this
>better than I can, but it is NOT frontal area that determines drag. The drag
>increases faster than the frontal area when you lower the flaps and the drag
>increase from 60 degrees and 90 degrees is enormous, much more than the
>frontal area increase.
>
>Anker

True. Im no aero dynamicist either, and certainly downward deflection
of airflow at partially-deployed flaps reduces effective breaking. --
The main issue for me is that flap deflection between 75 and 90
degrees adds only 4 percent more frontal area. To me the extra strain
required on servo, linkage, and hinge is not worth the last 15
degrees of deflection.

Dieter
http://shredair.com