We interrupt your pleasure to bring you a special announcement...

Imagine, if you will, going to that 'favorite' contest of yours, the one
you want to win so badly that you've actually gone out and practiced to
hone your skills, both in private sessions and openly in other
competitions.  That contest which, just once, you'd like to say you came
out on top, so you've scheduled and worked toward this goal for weeks ...
months ... maybe even years!

The big day finally arrives, you're feeling like you fly better than you
ever have, you're ready to meet the competition, and you know the
competition will be people who have dusted you off before.  Even better,
it's going to be man-on-man competition, so the 'luck of the draw' factor
will be eliminated, as it will be your skills pitted direct against those
with whom you compete.

There's even a bit of luxury, knowing that if enough rounds are completed,
you will get a 'throw-out' round of your worst score, thus there is the
comfort of room for 1 mistake.  Sounding like an ideal situation, right?

Now imagine on your very first flight of the competition that the one
person you see as possibly your biggest competitor tanks that first round,
while you win it.  Got that feeling locked in?  You're on top, you can win
by careful flying, maybe *not* having to take any big risks, and even so
you have the latitude of one smaller mistake.  Your destiny is in your
control!  Everyone has to try to catch you!  Feels good, right?  Almost
invincible!

Now, imagine the same setup, but instead of your competition tanking that
very first round, the person who tanked it was YOU!  You *know* you just
spent your throw-out round ... if there is one!  You *know* there's no more
room for mistakes of any sort, even if there is a throw out.  You *know*
you have to fly as close to perfect as you can, because your competition
now has the upper hand we talked about earlier.  You *know* you're probably
going to have to take some big risks along the way.  Got that (sinking)
feeling locked in?  Feeling a little bit of stress now?  Ok, take it one
step further!  Instead of being just your 'favorite' competition with the
best fliers in the area around, it's a world class event, with world class
fliers, arguably the best fliers in the world at this moment.  Now how's
that stress level?

Ok, I've suckered you in.  This is actually just another congratulatory
note to those who competed in the F3J World competition, and in particular
the Canadian team, and in particular to Arend Borst.  I haven't heard the
details, but he was in that latter position, the blown first round, no room
for mistakes, against the best fliers in the world.  Maybe a little more
pressure there, and yet he managed to come out on top.  (yes, yes, I know
... given just a *slightly* different turn of circumstances, it could
easily have been another victory for Joe (well, not necessarily easily, but
you know what I mean.  *All* of these guys have to work hard to be on
top!))  But at this level of competition, you're much more likely to see
someone fall from 2nd to 67th than rise from 67th to second, and then move
on to finish #1.  Great flying, great handling of stress!  Good job Arend.

A truly impressive performance, but then I didn't expect anything
less.  No, I'm not Canadian, I'm a good 'ol USA guy.  But, I have the
pleasure of flying with/against both Arend and Graeme Clark (did you notice
Graeme's performance during the prelim's, and a good finish in the
fly-off's?)   Both of these gentlemen are not only fantastic fliers and
great competitors, but they're also 2 of the nicest guys you'll meet in a
long time, and they're both members of the NorthWest Soaring Society.  We
sorta like to say 'come to the Northwest and fly with the best', now we can
actually smile when we say it!  :-)

At any rate, congrat's again to Arend, Graeme, and Eric (Heemskerk) for a
job well done flying, and to Kelly Johnson and Keith Morrison who I'm sure
worked their butts off pulling these guys into the air.  In fact, congrats
to the whole Canadian team.

Want a chance to test YOUR skills and fly against this crew, then think
about coming up and joining us for the NWSS 2002 Season Tournament in
Mission, B.C.  This is one of the most beautiful places you will find for
contest flying.  Lush green sod farms, mountain backdrops, stiff (world
class) competition!  You'll need to bring your wits though, as the air
tends to be tough!  This isn't the lifty southwest (but we can actually see
our planes at a distance here!)

All ribbing aside, need a place to go fly after Labor day, and looking for
some good, stiff (world class) competition to tune up before
Visalia?  Consider the NWSS Season Tournament.    (Check out details at
http://www.aracnet.com/~eastwind/nwss/ ).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming......

-Les