I'm with the school that says if we can only have
it one way, then end plugs are the way, hands
down. I'm somewhat bummed to learn that the M5 is
not this way.
I build things with the RX often in the wing, or
in a VERY small pod, and here, a little length due
to the added connectors is almost always better
than dealing with the usual doubling in height
with vertical connectors.

I agree that a connector design that was only as
long as the pins themselves (or a smidge
longer)would solve this problem, but would only be
a solution IF one was willing to replace all one's
servo connectors, OR if manufacturers of servos
adopted such a connector universally.

Lift,
Scobie in Seattle