Hey John,

I sounds like trouble in the brush area for sure.
We are pretty rough on our motors, we push 12V thru a 6V motor, then we
power retrieve for the next launch. This puts a lot of electrical as well as
mechanical wear on the brushes and commutator.  I change out brushes every
season, same time I swap out the solenoids.
 There are 2 bare brushes, (grounded) and 2 insulated brushes (12V+) in your
motor. Check to see which one got toasted. I recently repaired a club winch
that had the brushes worn down so much that the brush spring that holds the
brush in contact with the commutator had bottomed out and the brush was free
to rattle around. This winch was seriously bogging down, and even sparking
in that area. In fact, the brushes had unevenly  worn down SO much at an
angle that one had worn down to a point. The commutator was scarred up from
the arcing. This arcing also can ruin the brush spring's temper, and they
can then snap in half. (bad thing)
To get this winch back up and working right, I replaced the brushes and
brush springs.I replaced the armature as well. Now everything is good as
new.

Now the bad part...
Sometimes the field coils can have a short in them, and this is really hard
to find. The fix for that is to remove the motor body and have the coils
changed out. I don't even mess with removing the field coils. They are
torqued in by this big guy called MONGO, and they use a special square end
tool
that fits the pole shoe screws. You will see that some of them show attempts
of removal, and
they get pretty ugly. 8^(
Here's what I want you to do: take a couple of digital snaps of the affected
area and shoot them off to me, I will see if there is anything else going
on.

Most likely, you can get away with just changing out the brushes and
springs, if the arcing and frying did not go too far.
****WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG FOLLOWS****
I have the brushes available, $10 a  set. I also have a tune up kit that
includes the brushes, new brush springs, and a special tool to align the
brush holders for $25.

Doc