Don and Blaine had interesting points in their recent posts.  These got me
thinking again.

Don pointed out the increased efficency during circling with higher dihedral
and Blaine pointed out that a gyro can make spiral stability a moot point to
the pilot of any aircraft.

But this question still rings in my head...what is a good compromise for
effective dihedral angle (EDA) for a thermal soaring ship?  I have to assume
that the addition of a gyro can only improve the handling and not the
efficiency.

Having read (and reread) Blaine's articles on Spiral Stability in Model
Aviation published years ago, I seem to remember that he indicated that
upwards of a 10 degree EDA was good.  For straight wing panels, that means a
20 degree bend in the wing rod.  Wow, that's a lot!

Mike Garton just wrote an article in his Model Aviation column about this
area of aircraft stability.  If I'm not mistaken, Mike said that many of the
straight wing planes produced recently have about 5 degree EDA. Since most
wing rods are bent to a 5 degree bend, that makes the EDA only 2.5 degrees
for all those aircraft.  I may have mis-read Mike's article, but he may have
made a mistake there.  The point I'm making here is that many TD planes have
very low EDA's.

Through my experience, I've settled on a preferred EDA of about 5 degrees as
a good compromise for spiral stability and landing performance.  This has
always produced a sweet handling plane for me.

I'm not saying that 5 degrees is ideal for contest work though.  As anyone
with an Addiction or Compulsion (or many other) aircraft will attest, these
low EDA planes land with very high accuracy.  Mike Garton mentioned his
landing accuracy findings in his article, but I wonder if they can be
applied universally.  He said that higher EDA didn't affect his landing
accuracy.  I suggest that low EDA probably does reduce the ability of cross
winds to disturb a plane's trajectory.  Mike presented his data points on
this subject, I'm wondering if other pilots have ventured there?

It may be time for me to have Don Richmond make a higher bend angle wing rod
for some 'spuriments.  Don Stackhouse mentions that he has figured out the
mathematics regarding dihedral and turning, I'm hoping he will expound here
on his findings.

Martin Brungard
Tallahassee, FL
"Soaring: Where screwing-up is an art"