--- Bill Swingle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wouldn't a Ham operating on your frequency "clobber" you regardless
> of
> whether you have a double conversion Rx?

Yes. But note that I said your *image* frequency. Say you have an SC
receiver with a 455 khz if and you're tuned to 53,200 khz, and your
local oscillator is operating at 52,745. Then your receiver will hear
signals at 53,200 and at 52,290. The signals at 52,290 will not be
received as strongly because of the selectivity of the receiver's first
stage, but they'll still come through. If perchance there's a ham on
that frequency, you could get clobbered.

Your local oscillator could also operate at 53,655, in which case the
image frequence would be 54,110. This is out of the ham band, but
commercial services may operate on that frequency.

A double-conversion receiver eliminates this by having a much higher
first if, so the images are so far away from the desired signal that
the front end of the receiver easily rejects them.