The point you make about seperating controls with seperate functions is an interesting one, but becomes hazy in the realm of aircraft control. In an aircraft, the simple 'single' intent to execute a level turn requires control inputs from elevator, rudder, and ailerons, every time, no exceptions, if you want your turn to be coordinated and aerodynamically efficient. So thinking of these controls as being 'separate' because they control separate surfaces on the aircraft doesn't quite fit. When I take people flying in my little two seater taildragger, novices are always amazed that a simple turn requires the application of three coordinated control inputs.

Lift,
Scobie in Seattle

 -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 5:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Re: Soaring V1 #890

In a message dated 9/23/2002 07:48:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Because you're pulling the aircraft's nose back towards the pilot's
head.  Couldn't be simpler.

Ah, except the pilot is on the ground, not in the airplane!  It isn't intuitively obvious for models.

Your point about bicameral dexterity is a good one, though one of the general rules in controls design is to separate controls with separate functions to the extent possible.