Well, I dunno.

What you seem to be asking is:  "I know the 'duck' is not the best
antenna, but is it 'good enough'?".  Well, "Is it?"

The makers of your radio most likely don't make the antenna.  They have to
buy it.  When designing the transmitter, they have options.  The antenna
they use is a practical compromise.  Certainly, there are better antennae
then the telescoping whip we usually see on the tranny.  It is a decent
antenna, is not too expensive and is not so cumbersom so as to be un
wieldy.  Obviously, a shorter antenna is more desirable then a long one.
If a 'duck' satisfied their requirements, wouldn't you think they would
use one, or at least offer one?

Just my $.02 worth.

.........bc    ([EMAIL PROTECTED]

       http://www.widomaker.com/~conk