Hi Ray,
 Some good points you bring up. Clubs puting on contests should warn the entrants about
where to fly or not to fly. Eg. across freeways or busy streets, busy parks with lots
of people there. Common sense should dictate this but some people don't think
about these things. The landings shouldn't be over these same areas as you are coming
in
lower and any problems could put you down where you don't want to be.
Land down wind or cross wind if you must do so to be safe.
Regards, Art