what if one pack shorts a cell, 4 cell pack goes to 3 volts?

> Hi Cliff,
>
> There are three basic ways to go about this:
>
> Simplest is to fly on parallel packs, but the packs
> are protected by diodes reverse flow through the weaker
> battery pack.The diodes normally lowers current by
> about 0.7V, so five cell packs are wise to use!

This is completely unneeded. The "weaker pack" cannot charge the other pack.
Prove it to yourself (I did). Charge 1 pack fully, discharge another pack to
1 volt per cell. Connect them to the same receiver. Walk away. Measure the
voltages anytime you want. The "full" pack cannot and will not charge the
empty pack.

Go to Red's battery clinic page for more info.