Gordy,

What's your source for this? I would be interested
in reading this study. I imagine the researchers,
like myself,  were/became interested in the
compensatory mechanisms for people over forty wh
perform critical tasks like surgery, etc.

Funny you mentioned that!  I was just watching PBS where an old Doc did neural surgery with his thumbs! :-)

Do this test, as in like when we fly our sailplanes... a  test I have done almost everywhere I have stopped on the road flying.

Without looking try to move your thumb, less than an 1/8".. have someone watch your thumb while you do it.

Then try to do it while watching and concentrating on moving your thumb less than 1/8".

While its 'possible' in reality it isn't even close to probable while we are flying.

Certainly someone can do it, and nearly the same place on purpose twice, but most of us have hung from too many branches, hit our selves with too many hammers, pulled on too many wrenches... by the time we are 40+....
And in the end when it comes to controlling model sailplanes, it doesn't make a difference.

1/8" is not much, but in that 1/8" there are a few hundred potential servo movement section positions.

Of course when you do the test  you will try to move your thumb side to side, but try doing the elevator movement where you get to employ more than one joint :-)

Frankly if 1/8" movement were enough to matter we wouldn't have sticks at all, just trim tabs :-)

Thanks for the comment, and hope your doctor uses more than his thumbs!

I'll be thumbing it in Nashville this week with that amazing little plane called the MOTH!  Ever tried one?  There was an excellent review in RCSD magazine a few issues back by a cool guy in TN.  For a foamy wing, its amazing how well it DS's and thermals too.

A 60" version would be great since after 40 we can't see anything under 59"
:-)
Gordy