Season’s End

Southern California Soaring Club’s (SC2) has been running a Series of HL
competitions now for the Last 2 years.  This year we had 8 scheduled
comps in 7 different locations, plus IHL Festival at Poway.  Those of us
in the DLG Mafia also had 5 or 6 scheduled practices.

We had our last comp on Sat. Nov 9 in interesting conditions at
Paramount Ranch.  The first 2 rounds were dry and the last 3 were flown
in intermittent drizzle.  Winds were calm.  There was light lift all
day.

Nowel Siegal was first in Open class over John Erickson and Bill
Watson.  Our only entry in Sportsman, Greg Cueva had the top score and
won overall.

Just a couple of observations here:
First, our Sportsmen/Open division has worked pretty well for the last
two years.  Larry Pettyjohn won Sportsmen overall last year and won for
the first time in the open class in April of this year.  Greg Cueva
soloed in July of 2001, flew his first HL competition in the fall, flew
all year this year as a Sportsmen, and had high score overall, winning
the last contest of the season against a good field.  Greg was a
Dominant winner in the Overall Sportsman Class this year.
Second: Polyhedral models won 7 of 8 contests. Flapped poly models won 6
of 8 contests.  Aileron models were flown by many of the entrants,
including Wurtz and Greening.  John Erickson had a rather easy win over
Wurtz in May at Poway and Wurtz returned the favor at Santa Clarita in
October.  In the last 3 SC2 HL comps Wurtz has entered, he is 1 for 3.
Greening also flew at Santa Clarita and aside from Monster launches, he
had a bad contest.

For the year, John Erickson flew to a well-deserved overall victory,
which included his win over Wurtz.  For the second year, Bill Watson was
a close Second.  After a 10 year layoff, Mike Bame came out of
retirement to take Third place for the season in the last heat, of the
last round, of the last contest of the year.

Conclusions:
First, Having a Sportsmen class gives a place for newcomers to start in
HL and compete with other flyers at there own skill level.  It is also a
place for old re-treads to get back into competition and re-develop
their competition skills as well as learn the event.  If you are
fortunate enough to find a fine young competitor like Greg Cueva, take
the time to nurture and teach him.
Second, notwithstanding other opinions expressed on this forum, the
facts show Flapped Poly models are fully competitive in all of the HL
tasks I have ever seen. There are 4 or 5 excellent designs available and
all have weak and strong points.  Pick the model that best suits your
style.

I have been told that there is a lot of interest in my Photon Design
which is currently out of production.  If you would like to buy a Photon
if they were available, E-mail me and let me know.  If there is enough
interest, I will look around for another vendor.

Jerry Krainock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]