Thanks for all the advice.  I'm going to start with the suggestion about
using a damp rag and sealing iron (Tracey Brown) and work from there.  If
the steaming & heating remedies don't yield satisfactory results, I'll try
the lightweight spackle approach.  I even had an offer to cut some new cores
for me.

Anyway, bottom line is thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions and
ideas.

Regards,
Ed Jett