I would say yes, if YOU like how it looks.....

I bought a 1/3 scale fuse for about $125 US, and making the rest from
scratch cost me again that much, easily.  If I were shopping again, I'd say
250 was cheap, but check some of the scale sites to compare (and shop for
accessories).  Endless Mountain comes
(http://www.scalesoaring.net/EMM/rand.htm ) to mind, maybe Sailplanes
Unlimited - http://www.sailplanes.com/.

You may also want to make a laundry list of what else you'd be on the hook
for - tow release, retract,larger servos, spoilers?  Will your radio support
the functions you'd want, and do you have access to a tow plane, a good
slope?

It doesn't have to be expensive, but maybe those sites will help fill in any
blanks you may have. Who knows, you might even see your NEXT plane there ; )

Good luck!
Brent