Rick Van Clief wrote:
I came across a site recently that said deep cycle marine batteries can develop memories, quickly according to the article. If this is the case what does one do to alleviate the situation? Do they make cyclers for these batteries?
They do NOT exhibit the memory effect, and full discharge should be
avoided.  I never go below 12 Volts, which is around 50% capacity
(some charger will self-destruct if the voltage falls to the 11 Volt
or lower levels).  Keep the battery charged at all times (buy a float
charger to maintain the battery once fully charged).

Look at _the_ Deep Cycle FAQ:
  http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/dcfaq.htm

  "10. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MYTHS ABOUT BATTERIES?
   10.6. Lead-acid batteries have a memory.
     Lead-acid batteries do not have the “memory effect” found with first
     generation Ni-Cad batteries; however, continious undercharging will
     lower the capacity of the battery.  Deep discharges below 10.5 volts
     can shorten their lives."

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada

RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.