"RC pylon racing a few years back to see that compromises have always
been made to ENHANCE SAFETY and reduce risk for insurance purposes."

My concern is after all the rhetoric were is the documented proof
their is an insurance risk.  How many claims have there been related
to skegs.

Maurice

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My reading of the proposal tells me it "limits" skegs, but does not
totally
> prohibit them. I will admit I only read about contests, I don't fly
them, so
> you contest-goers, tell me, have skegs gotten so large as to really
present a
> danger in flight?  AMA has prohibited things like nose probes/pitot
tubes on
> scale models in flight for many years, this seems like another side
of the
> same coin.  Myself, I have always thought using these things
was "cheating".
> I thought part of the sport of flying was to emulate full-scale
flying as
> much as possible, and judging how far you will roll-out or slide-
out from a
> landing on grass to a spot in a target circle should all be part of
the fun.
>  I myself abhor "lawn dart" landings. I think it's a perversion of
the
> landing task, and I'd prefer we went back to actual "runway"
landings... But
> my opinion means nothing.   Now, if that's what you like, flying
> ever-enlarging saw blades and scimitars on your planes, and that's
what you
> all wanna do, I'm not going to stand in your way, but you only have
to look
> at what happened in RC
> pylon racing a few years back to see that compromises have always
been made
> to enhance safety and reduce risk for insurance purposes.  It's
> self-preservation for the AMA.  And it would have never come to
this if some
> folks hadn't kept raising the stakes on skeg size just to win one
more
> goddamn piece of wood. Competitive people will always push the
rules up to
> their limit.  It's up to the membership to set those limits and
live with
> them.
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.
Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in
text only format with MIME turned off.