Fritz, Bill,

I would think having a small 12V light bulb across each solenoid would work. If they don't both turn on when the pedal is released you know something is wrong. If both solenoids open both bulbs would be running at reduced brilliance at about 6V, but if one solenoid failed you would get one on hard and the other off. You just want to make sure that the bulbs don't draw too much current. Hi brightness LED's might work even better so long as they are protected against the on/off spikes from the solenoids.

Randy