At 11:04 AM 2/12/2003 EST, you wrote:

>Actually, I believe CA glues spun off from work Eastman Kodak was doing with
>cements for assembling optics. They needed a strong, fast-setting adhesive
>that would glue two or more glass lenses together, yet be optically clear.
>The chemists hit upon  a formula that catalyzed just on contact with a
>microscopic amount of moisture on the surface of the lens.  I don't know
>how/when it got to 'nam.

I think you are talking about Eastman 910.  I first saw it used to glue
strain gages to wind tunnel balances about 40 years ago.  I swiped some
from our instrument lab to glue vortex generators to the wall of a small
research wind tunnel. Strong stuff.  I glued some small wood vortex
generators to steel walls and they stood up to several hours of testing at
speeds up to Mach 1.

Chuck Anderson