From: Andrew E. Mileski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 8:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Glass Work Surfaces Vs. Steel Vs. Softer Material

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'd like to have one work surface, if possible, that can do it all...  Can
> anyone succintly list the advantages of a glass work surface as opposed to
> a steel or "pinable" surface?  and how the heck do you hold parts in place
> on a glass surface?

I mostly build woodies.  I never pin.  I weight things down and use clamps.

Old non-leaking flourescent light ballasts make great weights (free - as
your building/office maintenance people for burnt ones), as do bags
filled with lead shot or sand.

My favorite clamps are 3/4" C-clamps with a pefectly smooth clamping
surface that doesn't damamge Balsa (other do so check before you buy).
If I could find 'em anymore (was Sears) I'd buy 16 more.  I also have an
assortment of various larger sizes of C and F clamps, and a couple huge
bar clamps.

I prefer glass since glue doesn't stick, it's easy to clean, you can cut
on it, you can cut covering patterns on it, and it is very flat (float
glass).

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada