Well, enough fussing with the radio. It was such a nice day today with 50
degrees, light wind, white clouds and occasional sun, I decided to fly the
ship in spite of what I considered insufficient down flap available. With 5
oz. lead I had built into the nose, the all up flying weight was 97 oz. . .
.just right! The smaller receiver, smaller R & E servos and smaller battery
pack require the extra lead to balance and the wing had been moved forward
an inch over prior versions.

At the community college grounds, I had it all to myself. . . .not a soccer
player, kite flyer or baseball player in sight. This was a rare occasion!

After the first handlaunch, which required no change in trim, I ran it up on
the highstart 200 feet or so using no down flap. All was stable and I did
some easy turns for starters. I have 100 feet of that 3/8" black rubber with
1/8" walls Aerofoam now handles. There is 630 feet of line on it. Give me 20
MPH wind and I can get about 700 feet high on it, kiting up.

Next I stretched it further and got to 300 or so and poked around for
thermals. Like its predecessors, this GENIE's tip and tail are fine lift
indicators. Those new light stabs weigh 1/2 oz. each. The center section is
like a board, but the tips, as expected using the clockspring steel for
supports, flex a little where they butt the center. The RDS drive shafts
slip into pockets at the inboard ends of the ailerons. . .nothing to hook up
at all and the wing is totally clean.

Soon I was into lift and nicely rising and turning. I started my little
tests with the infamous "dive test". Ah. . .just a slight "hands off" pull
out tendency from an induced dive. All is going smoothly. I gingerly input
down flap (finally got them to drop about 65 degrees) at safe altitude.
Great. . .the ship has a slight diving attitude and is slowing well enough.
It is behaving without drifting off to one side as could occasionally be a
problem when the center section was 6' long and all flapped. I left off the
dreaded "shark's teeth" skid and as expected, it went about 50 feet after
touch down on the mowed grass.

Next launch, I stretched further and dropped the flaps 3/8". Oops, I had to
input some down elevator to keep up the airspeed or it wanted to fall off to
one side. This wing transitions from the thinned SD7036 at the center to the
SD 7003 at the tips without twist washout and is supposed to give
aerodynamic washout. Well, it won't go up as steeply on the highstart
without dropping off as does the 7036-7038 combo with a little twist tor tip
stall control, but it's faster. However this wing will be fine on the high
start with more wind or under winch power. It's great. . .better than I
figured it would be. It should zoom like crazy.

On another launch I went for broke and probably got to 350. Little thermals
were everywhere and I could easily go up at will. I shot up to 500 feet as
part of a 10 minute flight.The CC is only a mile from the airport and the
people in the tower are cooperative if traffic is light and my intentions
made known. Heidi welcomed my call, we arrived at an understanding and I had
her blessing for good flying. With gentle lift all around the place I could
really cover ground with a bit of down pressure on the elevator stick. Only
a couple of planes came by in my 2 hours there, so the sky was sort of all
mine. From that 500 feet, it was a good time to check the vertical descent
capability. I dropped the flaps that full 65 degrees and put it into
vertical descent. It was was totally controlled and I continued with down
flap to a landing. It slowed well and I punched the nose in for a short
skid. AOK!

I went for broke again, again got into good lift. Time to check inverted
turn capability. A half loop and push the stick forward to hold it level.
Ah. . .very easy to keep in a 360 turn. Okay, time for a fast flyby. I made
a dive from 400 feet toward my eyeballs and then veered off about 10 feet
off the deck and headed out again and back up to 300 or so with the energy
retention from the 6 pound ship. It is so quiet! Great! Another nice landing
and there was nothing more to prove. I packed up and headed home to enjoy
some of the navy bean, sauteed onions and ham hocks soup that had been
simmering in my absence. It was just right, too. Wish you could have been
with me.

What a great day! I'll bet not one other 80 plus year old senior in this
town had as much fun as I did today!

A pic of #24 by the pickup be on the website as soon as friend Loren
Jennings gets it added. In a day or so, check out
www.proptwisters.org/genie/genie.html.
If you want to see it now, ask me for it. I like the new wing with the
shorter 58" center and longer tips to make up the same 145-1/2" span.The
proportions look nice and a 58" center is easier to handle and transporrt
than the prior 72" one.

Harley Michaelis, 26 S. Roosevelt, Walla Walla, WA 99362, ph. (509) 529-2562