--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jim Bacus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 07:50 AM 3/9/2003, rdwoebke wrote:

<<SNIP
> I am not trying to be negative here, I just have the urge to fly
large r/c
> sailplanes and not much else.

<<SNIP>>

I used to be that way too.  Propellers scared me and messy fuel and
oil made me nauseous.

Then, the discus revolution came around, and I had 2 brand new Wizard
wings sitting in a box.  I let them gather dust for about 10 months
before I decided to take the plunge and order a motor, gearbox, speed
controller, folding prop, and electric fuse. Since then I have found
that I can do lots of fun soaring at lunch (I had always and still
fly a lot of D/HLG at lunch).  Charge the pack the night before, the
electric Wizard fits in the trunk of my Z fully assembled, arrive at
the field and I am at 600 feet and hunting thermals in a minute!

Of course, since you are exclusively flying the big stuff, cost of
entry into an electric will be a lot more (big brushless motors,
batteries, etc. $$), but how cool would it have been to have had an
electric Icon? :-)

And think of the fun these contests would be for small clubs/groups?
No winches to fuss with (or have to aquire).  No line breaks.  No
hernias from lugging lead acid batteries around.  Man on Man
launches.  Pure thermaling (long tasks would be ideal) because nobody
is going to go for some ridiculously small LZ and risk ramming their
nice motor/gear box into the dirt.

For the folks staying around for RES/NOS at the NATS, 1/2A LMR and A
LMR is the day after......

DISCLAIMER FOR THE HUMOR IMPAIRED: I still enjoy flying/supporting
traditional winch/hand tow contests.  But I have also seen the light
of the electric LMR and wish to inform others of its merits.