I used an RDS set-up on my Zagi400 a few years back, and it worked very
well.
To make the pockets for the rod ends,  I inlaid formica into the top and
bottom of the 1/8" balsa elevons, using a dremel router to cut the recesses.
The layers of formica ended up flush with the elevon surfaces, leaving a
slot which was perfectly sized for the 1/16" music wire torque rods. The
formica pieces are about 1.75" X 3/4", and are glued to a 1/4" wide lip
routered into the surface around the notch cut in the leading edge of the
elevons.
To install the rods, I tunnelled through the foam core with a sharpened
aluminium tube after covering the wing with the usual mix of strapping and
packing tape. This prevented the foam from crumbling near the thin trailing
edge. A 1" length of yellow nyrod was glued into the tunnel, slightly ahead
of the hinge line to act as a support for the torque rod.
I used a pair of FMA S100 micro servos. A 30° bend in the torque rod gave
the right amount of throw.
Bear in mind that this is the electric version, and isn't subject to the
type of abuse that a combat sloper would get. I'm not sure how the system
would hold up to getting whacked a lot. If I was to try it on a combat
plane, I would think about glassing the elevons, to reinforce the formica
pockets. The 1/16" rods should be fine, as they would have enough spring to
absorb blows and spring back to shape.

Mike Stoneman
Ottawa, Canada