--- Tom Hoopes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I liked the look and function of the Sportube, but
> found that fitting multiple handlaunch gliders in the Sportube often
> looked like a dog's breakfast.
>
> I began looking for ways to
> reduce the carrier by 4" to achieve 63" in overall length.

After reading about Tom's travails in getting HLGs to fit into a
Sportube collapsed to 63", you may wonder how to get a big plane into
mine and still meet the length requirement. For example, I have a
Genie, an Icon, and an Ava, all of which have 3-piece wings, but very
long fuselages.

The answer came to me late one night. A quick trip to the hardware
store, and I had what I needed: 3 cabinet door hinges and a hacksaw.
Yessir, if the old hinged-fuselage concept is good enough for Army
cargo planes, then it's good enough for me.

Some helpful hints: first, if you get the lightweight hinges, and don't
put them too far behind the c.g., you don't need as much nose weight to
compensate. Second, you can hinge the pushrods with a clevis
arrangement, then slip a piece of tubing over it to lock it straight.
Finally, a neat wrap of tape over the fuselage joint in a contrasting
color tidies up the look of the plane and can actually add a jaunty
look -- function with flair.