On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:55:03PM -0700, Bill Malvey wrote:
> For you LoLo owners (and I will be one soon), does the LoLo read altitude
> above sea level (ASL) or above ground level (AGL).

  I'm sure Sheldon will answer properly, but it just appears to be a
pressure sensor, data logger, some glue, and lots and lots of
experimentation and integration.  We're paying mostly for the latter,
which is quite fine by me.

  The actual data you download from the device is converted into
altitude with some simple-looking and adjustable formulas, and there's
a convenient way to normalize the ground level in the software.

> Does it have a way to zero it or correct for barometric pressure?  Just
> curious. Thanks

  It "zeros" when you first start it up, as far as I can tell.
Obviously with a pressure-only altimeter (just like in a real plane)
if you fly to a place with a different ambient air pressure or if the
weather changes a whole lot things will be skewed a bit.

  In our application it should be easy to check for this by comparing
the difference between "ground level" at different points during the
day.

  FWIW, I took my Alti2 from ATL -> Las Vegas -> San Diego, and the
cabin pressure was around 6200' at cruising altitude on the first leg
and around 5000' on the second leg.  The ground readings look sane
(i.e. San Diego is lower than Atlanta, etc) and I used a 6 second
sampling rate.  Security didn't even stop on the 4-cell pack
shrink-wrapped with an Alti2 on it that was blinking. :)

-Peter

--
Peter Jensen  ... http://www.diff.net/peter ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]