----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Swingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> That is a good question. The simple answer is that FM sounds "better" to
> the average pilot. Thus the market spoke its preference. Manufacturers
> build accordingly and there aren't many Tx's on AM. Certainly not the
> models that we're interested in purchasing.

Mightn't it also have to do with the fact that FM might (I don't have any
experience to verify this, just theory :O) ) have slightly better range
under noisy conditions?
My reasoning goes like this...
With AM, the pulses are a series of ONs and OFFs. Thus, with the very low
level signals present at near maximum range, it becomes very hard to
distinguish a true ON from spurious background noise, and a true OFF may be
hidden by background noise.
With FM, on the other hand, the pulses are sent by sending an ON on one
frequency and an OFF on another. Thus, even with the very low signal levels
at near maximum range, as long as the ON frequency can be distinguished from
the background noise, its level doesn't matter. Ditto for the OFF frequency.
Faulty logic, or semi-valid reason?

- Robert