--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<<SNIP>>
> My six plane canidates are:
> Viking (Mk. I or Mk. II)
> Legionair (whenever it becomes available)
> Marauder
> Paragon
> Challenger
> Astro-Jeff
>
> I am open to any write in canidates as well if you would like to
recommend
> something. Would be interested in hearing your likes, dislikes,
horror
> stories or anything else for that manner.

I built a Paragon last winter and flew it this summer for both 30
minute LSF3 flights and the 1K XC flight as well as the RES and NOS
nats.  I like the Paragon a lot, and find it fits my flying style
well.  You probably already heard this, but there were 2 Paragons in
the top 5 in NOS this year and a Challenger won the event.  The
Challenger is a real nice plane.  I'm assuming one would unplug the
flaps to make it RES legal?  The pilot that won NOS also flew the
Challenger in RES and was in the top 10.

If you do build a Paragon, be sure to add carbon to the spars.  I did
this on mine, and the wing is quite stout.  Many folks only fly NOS
type ships in nice conditions, but at the Nats this year there was an
8+ mph wind and quite a few models shed parts on launch.  If you are
planning to contest with one of these planes try to find somebody
that has built one and flew it in 15+ mph winds and pick their brain
on what kind of mods (if any) they did.  I have flown my Paragon in
conditions like this and can attest the wing is quite strong with the
extra carbon I added.  I laminated a multilayer (tapered) 3 ounce
unidirectional carbon spar to the spruce that came with the kit.

I'm assuming you are planning on adding spoilers to whatever you
choose to build.  This would certainly be the way to go, even if you
were not planning on competing. I made my first two flights with the
Paragon before I had put the spoiler linkages in, and found myself
quite high and wanting to burn off altitude.

Ryan