Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] BoT Replacements

I often see new comers with planes such as Oly II's, Spirits, Gentle Lady's, Paragons, etc. using, or trying to use zoom launches. The zoom launch is not required or even very efficient for such planes. Better technique is to tap the switch to slow down the launch speed thereby using less line and just let the plane fly off at the top. Many of these planes are broken because beginners haven't been told that their planes require a different launch than the modern composite ships. Also, the current winches use very heavy line and usually have a retrieving attached.
REMEMBER THIS. When the Bird of Time was designed and flown those of us that had winches had SIX VOLT winches. The rest used hi-starts. Any BOT will break if launched like a modern ship on a modern winch.
Mike Clancy