In a message dated 10/3/2003 2:07:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I have heard verified stories of scale ships being flown higher and
I can believe that, but I believe a 2m. would disappear at about 1500 to 2000ft.
unless the light conditions were perfect......
I've had my Omega 1.8m (with altimeter) over 2000 feet a few times.  I think my highest was around 2300 feet.  Granted at that altitude it's a speck and is on the verge of being lost.  The conditions greatly affect how high you can go.  I've actually found that a low humidity deep blue sky is not very good for seeing gliders at high altitude.  The plane seems to just dissolve into the sky.  The best for me, is to get under a nice cumulus and try to stay under it as you climb.  With the cloud as a backdrop, you can see the glider at very high altitudes.  If you leave the cloud though, the model can easily disappear.

Randy