As was unfortunately expected, The Sport Scale event has been dropped
from the schedule for the 2004 NATS and future NATs as I understand. In
light of recent discussions regarding the LSF's role as SIG to all
soaring I would like to make a few comments. First, and most
importantly, this is not an indictment, nor a criticism of deeds done or
not done. I am in a unique position to make these statements because I
was involved for four years amending the Sport Scale rules to generate
more interest in scale at the NATs. We failed to do so.
 The reason that will be given by the LSF for the failure of the event
is "lack of interest". Taken at face value, nothing could be farther
from the truth. Scale soaring enjoys increased interest throughout the
U.S.. How do I know? I sell tow planes and Sailplanes, I attend 10 large
scale events a year out of many more possible. If you want demographics
let me know. If you don't believe scale is the fastest growing soaring
interest second to the electric revolution, ask yourself, when was the
last time JR or Horizon Hobby organized and hosted a Thermal duration
event? Not sponsored mind you, fully funded, staffed and organized.

So why then did the NATs event fail? Despite a few dedicated members in
the LSF who did express interest, give energy and time to helping scale
survive, it did not as a NATS event. The reasons are several and
telling.
One:
 As demonstrated by large successful scale soaring events all over the
country, scale pilots in large numbers do not wish to compete in the way
that the NATS format was laid out. Restricted flying time, emphasized
static judging, and petty rules arguing. It seems that fun flies are
preferred with perhaps a small voluntary thermal duration event taking
place within the larger event.
We (scale enthusiasts) made a big deal about getting two days for scale
at the NATs. The reason being, it was perceived by us that in order to
attract non typical NATs participants, (meaning non TD types who were
already at the NATS for all the other contests)that we would have to
offer more than one day and three flights as an incentive to making a
long trek to Muncie. Understandably, no one in the LSF could justify
this on the basis of past participation and the tight schedule. Hats off
to Jack Strother for trying, albeit too late, to give 2 days to scale in
03.

Sidebar: Back in 1999 I was consulted cajoled and asked to get involved
as a non LSF member. In the beginning I was happy to take on the heady
task of modifying the AMA contest rules. Knowing what I know now about
that process, I wouldn't do it again. Try balancing the concerns of
three organizations, The AMA, LSF, and the scale contest board. (I
suggested scrapping the whole thing, and starting over, but I was
strongly discouraged from doing so by Steve Kaluf as too difficult
logistically and politically). It is very hard even to modify AMA rules
let alone rewrite them. It took me with help from others over two months
or more just to get all the parties to agree on modifying the builder of
the model rule so we could allow fiberglass euro kits into competition.

Two;
There was little internal support for the scale event among traditional
attendees and LSF members as a whole. Meaning in part, if a pilot had a
chance to compete in scale or whatever else was on the same day, scale
was forsaken, in favor of a preferred traditional contest. Hence a
limited captive participatory pool.
Three:
The Sport Scale event is governed by the Scale contest committee, not
the soaring contest committee. Why, don't ask, it goes back to the last
time scale rules were rewritten. This made it difficult for those
interested to get involved as it entailed addressing another branch of
the AMA contest board, who really, in there own fiefdom, had no interest
in Sailplanes, scale or otherwise. Talk about the Red headed step child.

I have had many conversations with LSF guys and other Scale flyers about
the good old days when scale was a simple Thermal duration task. Great
then, when everyone used a winch, but how do we level the playing field
with Aerotow launches? Altimeters? In a strict contest format? It just
seems to open up another can of worms. There are too many rules mongers
out there. I think most scale guys just don't want to get involved in
quantifying what they do by competing, and the NATs is, lets face it,
supposed to be a National competition among soaring competitors.

So Regardless of what you think about the LSF tasks, some like them some
don't, the larger question is what is the LSF's role in representing all
of R/C soaring to the AMA? Is there a way of incorporating Scale and the
other growing genres into the LSF fold in their role as SIG?
Under current conditions and limitations of both interest and manpower I
would say no. Philosophically the LSF does what they do best, manages
their achievement program to a narrow segment of soaring pilots.

In light of all this Don's idea has some merit, but would it garner more
involvement? That depends not on the modifications, but the people
behind them.

John Derstine

I broke my own rule about reposting.