Brian, Thanks,
I assumed digital servos in my post, but didn't think that some might
not be aware of this.

A little more background for anyone interested:
 The initial reason for the development of digital servo programmers was
driven by the needs of the guys who fly the big aerobatic planes, sorry,
not sailplane flyers. I fly power also, as well as electrics. Dave
Garwood calls it cross dressing, I am not sure I like the connotation,
but then I call him a slopehead.

When these TOC pilots started ganging up digital servos on large 40%
size models they quickly found out that digital servos center a slight
amount differently from servo to servo. Because there resolution is more
precise than analog servos, they (when ganged together, up to 5 servos
on a 40% rudder) constantly fought each other for center. This caused
significant current drain. Coupled with the fact that linkage variations
are magnified, and that digital servos produce 100% of their torque with
1 degree of offset it was a problem. In the beginning the pilots had to
buy 10 digital servos and try to match 4-5 that centered similarly
together, and then use the others on other single servo applications.
Well if you are talking a JR 8411, that's $1100.00 to get four servos
that work together.

Hence, for the price of one servo the three companies came out with a
programming device to give pilots the ability to program neutral points,
but also included end points, speed, and depending on the brand, other
functions. This opened up many other applications for the rest of us.

JR and Futaba came up with a device that rides in the aircraft. The JR
Matchbox not only allows servo synchronization, it allows a flyer to
plug in 4 servos, a dedicated battery pack, and use one channel to
"program" or synchronize up to four servos. (Jet pilots loved this
concept as well). Great for 8 channel radio owners to expand their
possibilities without buying a new radio.
Example: divided flaps on a large scale ship.
 With the Matchbox, the R&D dept also found that you can use one channel
to switch up to 3 on off functions using a slider or three position
switch. So if you fly a scale sailplane with opening canopy, or another
on off function, you can do it without a super radio or extra channels.
You do not have to have digital servos for this application.

Hitec in their approach came out with a programmer that is a bench tool,
good for syncing and programming digi servos of their brand, but not
having the features of the JR matchbox, and presumably the Futaba, which
looks like a clone of the Matchbox. I have not "tested" that one.

Jr also makes a nifty device called a channel expander. This device can
sequence and switch (not proportional) up to four servos with a
dedicated battery pack. It allows more switching flexibility but will
not program digi servos.
These devices are all brand specific.

John Derstine

Endless Mountain Models