My first plane was a Goldberg Sophisticated Lady (later to become known as The Crunchbird.) My wife had gotten me a kit to build an RC power plane for Christmas. I took it back to the hobby shop and swapped it for the only glider they had on the shelves, the Sophisticated Lady.

I learned to build, repair, and slope with the SL. Lots and Lots of repair. I added shear webs when it became clear that the wing was too weak for even a decent high start. I added winglets as an experiment, and never took them off. The Crunchbird is still in the hangar and needs only a battery and radio to go up again.