Guys:

My $0.02
Today in lab,I used balances that ranged in price from $6000+ to $89  The $89
balances were centigram balances with accuracy to 0.1 g, capacity of 250 grams.
I will not belabor the differences between accuracy and precision - I do it all
the time with students that should know better.

However, if a balance has a possible error of 1% for values between 1 gram and
100 grams - than it doesn't matter if you measure out large amounts or small
amounts. 1% of 100g is one gram - will not matter for the mix and if you need
10 grams, 1% of 10 grams is 0.1g - well within the tolerance for hardner, etc.
or even 2%!

Triple beam balances are not as good as a digital balance. The TB balance must
be able to swing freely and stop on the zero or the same place each time. If
you've used the balance once it is not as good as it was. (I go back to using a
"chain-o-matic" analytical balance, same priciple as a TB and those weighing
may have taken 30 - 40 minutes, and the standards I had to use, cost me over
$100 in 1963) The "use" (and repeated use) of the TB balance rounds off the
once sharp fulcrum - and then it will not stop swinging at the same place with
the same amount of epoxy, etc or the calibrated set, both accuracy and
precision are poor. This fact of life will make them less accurate/precise than
the cheapest digital. Forget any rough handling, abuse in shipping, or on the
flea market table

I've had students check (a lab designed to show students the differences between
accuracy and precision with multiple measuring instruments)triple beams against
cheap digital - and the cheap digital always wins.

Taring on a triple beam is not easy nor quick. Weighing on a TB is not quick
either.  ALL digital balances will tare with a push of the tare button, so you
can use "used" cups, different sized cups, etc.

Unless you buy a good set of calibrated masses and DO NOT touch them with
anything except clean forceps, they are useless as a calibration standard. Just
the oil on your hands (never mind dust and corrosion) will make them worst than
the cheapest digital balances.
BTW: sometimes you can get really good digital balances at the police station
for nothing or a small donation to their fund - they confiscate them in drug
busts!
Jim Ealy

Jim Ealy
Education by Demonstration