I am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction. I am a special education teacher and I have a gifted student who would like to work on a speed record for aircraft. After some lengthy discussions, we have decided that it might be an idea to figure out how airplanes work and how their engine systems work. To that end, I am trying to find a model airplane that this young man can build so he learns airplanes inside out and then we can take on making it faster. We would like to make a radio controlled plane so that it truly flies and he can adapt the wings, fuselage, or whatever to make it go faster. I am so far out of my area of expertise that I do not even know where to begin. If anyone can tell me what I am looking for and where to find it I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
By the way, I work in a rural Eskimo village in Alaska, so I do not have access to hobby shops or others who I would normally use as references and back up in the lower 48. So this kit will have to be fairly self-explanatory with easy to follow directions as I know as much as my student at this point.

Thank you for helping,
Debi