The 'right' answer to this question is really very pilot dependent. The horizontal launch method is where everyone should start as its the most forgiving for poor throws and incorrect plane setup. If you have any question about your ability (or a student's ability) to launch, the straight ahead horizontal throw is the most likely to succeed.

Having said that we now can move on to more advanced techniques for those who have a good plane setup and good winch/highstart control. A more nose up attitude will rotate the plane quicker to vertical and leave more length in the line for the climb. The argument now is whether its better to stand on the pedal all the way up to get off the line fast and with speed or whether to pulse the winch and let the plane kite to altitude. Which is better I do not know. I do know how I do it and I'm happy.

Extreme launches practiced in F3B and F3J are best left to the experts unless you just must have the ultimate. In both of these cases monofilament line is used which stores much more energy than our nylon winch line or any high start you'd care to pull back. In these cases the energy is stored just prior to release and the object is to maintain that stored energy until just before the moment the plane releases from the line so that the energy goes into the airplane as speed.. Therefore these launches are at very high angles of attack so that the wing provides maximum lift to retain the stored energy until the zoom.

Launching is an art that requires excellent plane setup, a lot of experience and a lot of confidence. Each pilot has to use the technique that matches his skills and there is no 'one size fits all'.

Hope this helps.
Rick