I do not agree. Correct spelling in a public forum *is* the appropriate
thing to do and I think it is OK to correct people for it. I'd bet that most
of the spelling errors Scobie has corrected are due to laziness or
inappropriate attention paid during one's education more than due to
learning disabilities.

For those of you who think spelling is hard (and I am not pointing to those
who, like Dr. Dan, have a learning disability) and think it unimportant, I
like to pull out the following from Mark Twain:

Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be
replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of
the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch"
formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling,
so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might
well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j"
anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5
doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing
vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it
wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" --
bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch",
"sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl,
kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spikingwerld.