I think the prime reason of using top actuated arrangement is to reduce the amount of protrusion on the wing surface and hence cut down the drag . On my Pike WR, the end of the control horn for the flap is flush with the top surface of the wing. The length of the control horn is equal to the thickness of the front part of the flap so the entire horn can be buried inside the wing. I can show some photos if you are interested.

With bottom actuated arrangement, there are bound to be some protrusion unless the control horn has zero length.

Y C Lui

Steve Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Why do the designers go with bottom hinged, but top actuated flaps? Why
complicate things on setup geometry and cutting holes in wings.
Isn't a bottom hinged, bottom actuated flap just as effective and easier to
install?

(Spell check completed ! )

Do You Yahoo!?