From: Andrew E. Mileski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 10:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RCSE] full scale question

Tim Van wrote:
> Bill,
>
> In my professional opinion, I would have to say 'a lot'. Yep, definitely a lot...
>
> Seriously though, there would be two sources of G's. First, G's caused by the sudden
> acceleration away from the plane as a result of the propellant, etc. used to eject
> the pilot. Those G's would be dependant on the mechanics/design of the ejection
> system (the power and duration of whatever is used, solid fuel rocket boosters
> usually).
> Second, the sudden deceleration caused by suddenly moving from a 'sealed' container
> into air that is moving past you at your current TAS (mach 1.2-1.5??). Someone
> correct me if I'm wrong, but don't tell my dynamics prof...
>
> up, up and away...

Most ejection seats are operationally rated for 8g it seems, though
some hit 12g.  In other words, they have to exceed this on ejection
by a wide margin to get the pilot safely out.

I don't know the top number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was
around 22g, but for a very short period.  Ejecting is EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS, but is assumed to be less dangerous than staying in the
aircraft.

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada